When you use Intercity, you trust us with your information. We are committed to keeping that trust. That starts with helping you understand our privacy practices.
This policy describes the information we collect, how it is used and shared, and your choices regarding this information. We recommend that you read this along with our, which highlights key points about our privacy practices (including what information we collect, when we collect it, and how we use it).
Last Modified: January 7, 2019
Effective Date: January 7, 2019
Data Collections and Uses
This policy applies to users of Intercity’s services anywhere in the world, including users of Intercity’s apps, websites, features or other services Intercity may provide in the future.
This policy describes how Intercity and its affiliates collect and use personal information to provide our services. This policy applies to all users of our apps, websites, features or other services anywhere in the world. This policy specifically applies to:
- Riders: users who request or receive transportation
- Drivers: users who provide transportation as affiliate drivers or through partner transportation companies
- Transportation Companies: who employ Drivers or have affiliate Drivers
This policy also applies to those who provide information to Intercity in connection with an application to use our services, or whose information Intercity otherwise receives in connection with its services (such as contact). All those subject to this policy are referred to as “users” for purposes of this policy.
The practices described in this policy are subject to applicable laws in the places in which we operate. This means that we only engage in the practices described in this policy in a particular country or region if permitted under the laws of those places. Please contact us if you have questions on our practices in your country or region.
Intercity provides services to users throughout the world. If you use our services in the United States, Intercity, LLC is the data controller for your information.
If you live in the United States, the data controller for the information you provide or that is collected by Intercity or its affiliates is:
100 N. Tryon Street, Suite B220-144
Charlotte, North Carolina 28202
Questions, comments and complaints about Intercity’s data practices can be submitted to Intercity’s data protection office at the above address.
We may process personal information inside and outside of the United States. Intercity transfers information of users’ outside the United States on the basis of mechanisms approved under applicable laws.
The Information We Collect
- Information that you provide to Intercity, such as when you create your Intercity account.
- Information created when you use our services, such as location, usage and device information.
- Information from other sources, such as Intercity.
The following information is collected by or on behalf of Intercity:
- Information you provide
This may include:
- User profile: We collect information when you create or update your Intercity account. This may include your name, email, phone number, login name and password, address, payment or banking information (including related payment verification information), government identification numbers such as, driver’s license or passport if required by law and photo. This also includes vehicle or insurance information of drivers. This also includes any preferences and settings that you enable for your Intercity account.
- Background check information: We may collect background check information if you sign up to use Intercity’s services as a driver or delivery partner. This may include information such as your driver history or criminal record (where permitted by law). This information may be collected by a vendor or Transportation Company on Intercity’s behalf.
- Demographic data: We may collect demographic information about you, including through user surveys.
- User content: We may collect information that you submit when you contact Intercity customer support, provide ratings or compliments for other users, or otherwise contact Intercity.
- Information created when you use our services
This may include:
- Location Information
Depending on the Intercity services that you use, and your app settings or device permissions, we may collect your precise or approximate location information as determined through data such as GPS, IP address and WiFi.
- If you are a driver, Intercity collects location information when the Intercity app is running in the foreground (app open and on-screen) or background (app open but not on screen) of your device.
- If you are a rider and have provided permission for the processing of location data, Intercity collects location information when the Intercity app is running in the foreground.
- Transaction Information
We collect transaction details related to your use of our services, including the type of services you requested or provided, your order details, delivery information, date and time the service was provided, amount charged, distance traveled, and payment method. Additionally, if someone uses your promotion code, we may associate your name with that person.
- Usage information
We collect information about how you interact with our services. This includes information such as access dates and times, app features or pages viewed, app crashes and other system activity, type of browser, and third-party sites or service you were using before interacting with our services. In some cases, we collect this information through cookies, pixel tags, and similar technologies that create and maintain unique identifiers.
- Device Information
We may collect information about the devices you use to access our services, including the hardware models, device IP address, operating systems and versions, software, file names and versions, preferred languages, unique device identifiers, advertising identifiers, serial numbers, device motion information, and mobile network information.
- Information from other sources
These may include:
- User feedback, such as ratings or compliments.
- Users providing your information in connection with referral programs.
- Users requesting services for or on your behalf.
- Users or others providing information in connection with claims or disputes.
- Intercity business partners through which you create or access your Intercity account, such as payment providers, social media services, on-demand music services, or apps or websites whose API Intercity uses (such as when you order a ride through Google Maps).
- Insurance providers (if you are a Transportation Company, driver or affiliate driver).
- Financial services providers (if you are a Transportation Company, driver or affiliate driver).
- Transportation Companies.
- Publicly available sources.
- Marketing service providers.
Intercity may combine the information collected from these sources with other information in its possession.
How We Use Your Information
Intercity collects and uses information to enable reliable and convenient transportation, delivery and other products and services. We also use the information we collect:
- To enhance the safety and security of our users and services
- For customer support
- For research and development
- To enable communications to or between users
- To provide promotions or contests
- In connection with legal proceedings
Intercity does not sell or share your personal information to third parties for third party direct marketing purposes.
Intercity uses the information it collects for purposes including:
- Providing services and features
Intercity uses the information we collect to provide, personalize, maintain and improve our products and services. This includes using the information to:
- Create and update your account.
- Verify your identity.
- Enable transportation services.
- Offer, obtain, provide or facilitate insurance or financing solutions in connection with our services.
- To track the progress of your ride or delivery.
- Enable features that allow you to share information with other people, such as when you submit a compliment about a driver, refer a friend to Intercity, connect with another ridesharing platform to take you to your final destination, or share your ETA.
- Enable features to personalize your Intercity account, such as creating bookmarks for your favorite places, and to enable quick access to previous destinations.
- Enable Accessibility features that make it easier for users with disabilities to use our services, such as those which enable deaf or hard-of-hearing drivers to alert their riders of their disabilities, allow only text messages from riders, and to receive flashing trip request notifications instead of sound notifications.
- Perform internal operations necessary to provide our services, including to troubleshoot software bugs and operational problems, to conduct data analysis, testing, and research, and to monitor and analyze usage and activity trends.
- Safety and security
We use your data to help maintain the safety, security and integrity of our services and users. This includes, for example:
- Screening transportation companies prior to enabling their use of our services and at subsequent intervals.
- Using information from drivers’ devices to identify unsafe driving behavior such as speeding or harsh braking and acceleration, and to raise awareness among drivers regarding such behaviors.
- Using device, location, profile, usage and other information to prevent, detect, and combat fraud or unsafe activities. This includes processing of such information, in certain countries, to identify practices or patterns that indicate fraud or risk of safety incidents. This may also include information from third parties. In certain cases such incidents may lead to deactivation by means of an automated decision making process. Users in the EU have have the right to object to this type of processing; see Section II.I.1.d for more information
- Using user ratings to encourage improvement by affected users, and as grounds for deactivating users with ratings below a certain minimum as may be required in their region. Calculation and deactivation may be done through an automated decision making process.
- Customer support
Intercity may use the information we collect (including recordings of customer support calls after notice to you and with your consent) to assist you when you contact our customer support services, including to:
- Direct your questions to the appropriate customer support person
- Investigate and address your concerns
- Monitor and improve our customer support responses
- Research and development
We may use the information we collect for testing, research, analysis and product development. This allows us to improve and enhance the safety and security of our services, develop new features and products, and facilitate insurance and finance solutions in connection with our services.
- Communications among users
Intercity may use the information we collect to enable communications between our users. For example, a driver may text or call a rider to confirm a pickup location.
- Communications from Intercity
Intercity may use the information we collect to communicate with you about products, services, promotions, studies, surveys, news, updates and events. Intercity may also use the information to promote and process contests and sweepstakes, fulfill any related awards, and serve you relevant ads and content about our services and those of our business partners. You may receive some of these communications based on your profile as an Intercity user. Intercity may also use the information to inform you about elections, ballots, referenda and other political and policy processes that relate to our services.
- Legal proceedings and requirements
We may use the information we collect to investigate or address claims or disputes relating to your use of Intercity’s services, or as otherwise allowed by applicable law, or as requested by regulators, government entities, and official inquiries.
Cookies And Third Party Technologies
- Authenticating users
- Remembering user preferences and settings
- Determining the popularity of content
- Delivering and measuring the effectiveness of advertising campaigns
Information Sharing and Disclosure
Some of Intercity’s products, services and features require that we share information with other users or at your request. We may also share your information with our affiliates, subsidiaries and business partners, for legal reasons or in connection with claims or disputes.
Intercity may share the information we collect:
- With other users
- For example, if you are a rider, we may share your first name, average rider rating given by drivers, and pickup and/or dropoff locations with drivers. In additional, other riders may be told your name and may see your pickup and/or dropoff location.
- If you are a driver, we may share information with your rider(s) including name and photo; vehicle make, model, color, license plate, and vehicle photo; location; average rating provided by riders; total number of trips; for how long you have been using the Intercity app; and contact information (depending upon applicable laws). If you are a driver, we may also share any information provided to us by the transportation company with which you are employed or affiliated, including information that you submit and compliments that past riders have submitted about you. The rider will also receive a receipt containing information such as a breakdown of amounts charged, your first name, photo, and a map of the route you took.
- At your request
This includes sharing your information with:
- Other people at your request. For example, we may share your ETA and location with a friend at your request.
- Intercity business partners. This includes transportation companies and for example, if you requested a service through a partnership or promotional offering made by a third party, Intercity may share your information with those third parties. This may include, for example, other apps or websites that integrate with our APIs, vehicle suppliers, or services, or those with an API or service with which we integrate, or business partners with whom Intercity may partner with to deliver a promotion, a contest or a specialized service.
- With the general public when you submit content to a public forum
We love hearing from our users — including through public forums such as Intercity blogs, social media, and certain features on our network. When you communicate with us through those channels, your communications may be viewable by the public.
- With the owner of Intercity accounts that you may use
If you use a profile associated with another party we may share your trip information with the owner of that profile. This occurs, for example, if you are:
- A rider using your employer’s Intercity profile.
- A driver using an account owned by a partner transportation company.
- A rider who takes a trip arranged by a friend or family member.
5. With Intercity service providers and business partners
Intercity may provide information to its vendors, consultants, marketing partners, research firms, and other service providers or business partners. This may include, for example:
- Payment processors and facilitators.
- Background check providers (drivers and delivery partners only).
- Cloud storage providers.
- Marketing partners and marketing platform providers.
- Data analytics providers.
- Research partners, including those performing surveys or research projects in partnership with Intercity or on Intercity’s behalf.
- Vendors that assist Intercity to enhance the safety and security of its apps.
- Consultants, lawyers, accountants and other professional service providers.
- Fleet partners.
- Insurance and financing partners.
- Yandex Taxi and other local providers.
- Third party vehicle suppliers.
6. For legal reasons or in the event of a dispute
Intercity may share your information if we believe it is required by applicable law, regulation, operating agreement, legal process or governmental request, or where the disclosure is otherwise appropriate due to safety or similar concerns.
This includes sharing your information with law enforcement officials, government authorities, airports (if required by the airport authorities as a condition of operating on airport property), or other third parties as necessary to enforce our Terms of Service, user agreements, or other policies, to protect Intercity’s rights or property or the rights, safety or property of others, or in the event of a claim or dispute relating to your use of our services. If you use another person’s credit card, we may be required by law to share information with that credit card holder, including trip information.
This also includes sharing your information with others in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, consolidation or restructuring, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by or into another company.
7. With your consent
Intercity may share your information other than as described in this policy if we notify you and you consent to the sharing.
Information Retention And Deletion
Intercity retains user profile and other information for as long as you maintain your Intercity account.
Intercity retains transaction, location, usage and other information for 7 years in connection with regulatory, tax, insurance or other requirements in the places in which it operates. Intercity thereafter deletes or anonymizes such information in accordance with applicable laws.
Users may request deletion of their accounts at any time. Following such request, Intercity deletes the information that it is not required to retain, and restricts access to or use of any information it is required to retain.
Intercity requires user profile information in order to provide its services, and retains such information for as long you maintain your Intercity account.
Intercity retains certain information, including transaction, location, device and usage information, for a minimum of 7 years in connection with regulatory, tax, insurance and other requirements in the places in which it operates. Once such information is no longer necessary to provide Intercity’s services, enable customer support, enhance the user experience or other operational purposes, Intercity takes steps to prevent access to or use of such information for any purpose other than compliance with these requirements or for purposes of safety, security and fraud prevention and detection.
Intercity may also retain certain information if necessary for its legitimate business interests, such as fraud prevention and enhancing users’ safety and security. For example, if Intercity shuts down a user’s account because of unsafe behavior or security incidents, Intercity may retain certain information about that account to prevent that user from opening a new Intercity account in the future.
A. DEVICE PERMISSIONS
Most mobile platforms (iOS, Android, etc.) have defined certain types of device data that apps cannot access without your consent. And these platforms have different permission systems for obtaining your consent. The iOS platform will alert you the first time the Intercity app wants permission to access certain types of data and will let you consent (or not consent) to that request. Android devices will notify you of the permissions that the Intercity app seeks before you first use the app, and your use of the app constitutes your consent.
B. RATINGS LOOK-UP
After every trip, drivers and riders are able to rate each other, as well as give feedback on how the trip went. This two-way system holds everyone accountable for their behavior. Accountability helps create a respectful, safe environment for both drivers and riders.
Your rider rating is available in the main menu of the Intercity rider app.
Your driver rating is available in the Ratings tab of the Intercity Partner app.
C. EXPLANATIONS, COPIES AND CORRECTION
You may request that Intercity:
- Provide a detailed explanation regarding the information Intercity has collected about you and how it uses that information.
- Receive a copy of the information Intercity has collected about you.
- Request correction of any inaccurate information that Intercity has about you.
You can make these requests by contacting Intercity emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also edit the name, phone number and email address associated with your account through the Settings menu in Intercity’s apps. You can also look up your trips history in the Intercity apps.
Updates To This Policy
We may occasionally update this policy.
We may occasionally update this policy. If we make significant changes, we will notify you of the changes through the Intercity apps or through others means, such as email. To the extent permitted under applicable law, by using our services after such notice, you consent to our updates to this policy.
We encourage you to periodically review this policy for the latest information on our privacy practices. We will also make prior versions of our privacy policies available for review.